Sunday, April 19, 2015

Careers


Don't forget the date! April 23, 2015!!

In the paper this week, there was an article about how seniors are trying to re invent themselves, once they've retired. It listed a number of men and women who have turned to writing, opening up their own business and volunteering.

So, I asked myself; are you ahead of your time or what? Let's just see...First off, I'm not really a senior, yet. I'm getting up there in years, but I don't look or feel my age and consider myself young at heart.

I graduated from the University of Illinois with a Masters in Music Education degree only to discover I was not really cut out to be a teacher. Especially Music where you ended up with close to three hundred students in one class for choir.

Next!

A claims examiner for Medicare which escalated in a career as a Supervisor at Blue Cross Blue Shield. There, I was introduced to programming and absolutely fell in love with it. It was like my Music Theory classes trying to make things fit to make things work smoothly. Kind of like a masterpiece.

Next!

Due to my husband's career, we moved to Pennsylvania. Didn't quite fit in 'career wise' with programming. With job applications when asked about computer knowledge, all they asked about was how fast could I type? Fortunately I was able to work from home with my Chicago based company. When they closed down, I was at a loss of what to do.

I took a stab and wrote two manuscripts that were rejected immediately. Dejected, I took on a job with IT but as technology progresses, my skills were out of date. This job helped me update them which I will forever be thankful for.

Next!

Moved to the Dallas area where IT workers were a dime a dozen and my resume was one of thousands. Trying to find a job and dealing with the Money Pit of a house, I had my hands full. I documented everything wrong with the house in an Excel spreadsheet and hence; When the Runway Went South was born.

I can't thank my editor, Staci, enough for giving me a chance and everything she has taught me. I still have a lot to learn.

So, this is my fourth career because you see, I'm not retired. There is too much going on in life to sit still.

No comments:

Post a Comment