Friday, December 4, 2015

Setback!

I don't know if you've been following, but the Saturday before Thanksgiving, I was on one of my power walks which I love to do because it's such a stress buster. Two blocks before home, I stepped on a pile of acorn nuts (we've had a ton this year) and when I came down, I slid and rolled my ankle. I didn't think much about it, thinking it was only a sprain. I could put my full weight on it and at least shuffle along. I could even wear low heels!

Come this Monday, I looked down on it and it really looked strange. It was swollen and if it was just a sprain, why wasn't it getting any better? I made an appointment with the doctor's office. I saw a Nurse Practitioner who thoroughly examined me and agreed something was not right. While having the x-ray, the tech confirmed it. My ankle was broken in two places. Here I've been walking on a broken ankle for ten days. Really?

They got me in immediately to the Orthopedic surgeon. Now, I have a non-walking cast on my right foot and will be wearing this for four weeks. I have to have an x-ray once a week to make sure it's healing properly. If not, they will re-break it and put in pins and rods. Let's pray it heals quickly.

You know, I'm an over achiever. I don't sit still for long periods of time and do everything for everyone. Do you know how hard it is to just sit here? Granted, now I have more time to write, but still. My mind is all over the board.

Oh, let me tell you about crutches? I am an exercise freak and consider myself pretty athletic. Nothing has prepared me for this. I've almost fallen more times than I can count and things you take for granted?  Showers? Sponge Baths. You can't carry things using crutches and no driving! Well.

I know it could be worse. I just read in the sports today where a Nascar driver is having surgery on his one leg and other foot. I just have to keep everything is perspective. I know.

I have my office set up downstairs in the rarely used dining room, so I can write. I pray for patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment