Saturday, February 18, 2017

Double Standards

I am bad. I am SO addicted to my cell phone, it's not even funny. What did I do without one before? I am trying an experiment and let's just see how long I can hold off. I will not use it until Wednesday.

Okay. I admit I've used 90% of my data and my billing cycle doesn't end until the 21st of the month. That's how bad I am. I don't have unlimited texting which is okay. I don't text that much anyway. I email or FB message instead. I can go months without recieving or doing a text. But every once in a while, all of a sudden  my friends text me and I get the "I'm a being a bad person" warning from Verizon.

Now, my writing career is on hold. In all of my rejections, I've been told that I 'tell' rather than 'show'. I finally figured it out. I had a career as a technical writer for programming specifications. Yup. I'm trained to "telling' how the program functions. The program is to be seamless to the user, you can't 'show'.

You say, what's wrong with that? Well, I'm learning a lot even though my ego has taken a beating. I have three stories I'm rewriting to fix that very thing!

I've also done research on recent romantic releases. I've been told my stories have too many adverbs and I should shy away from them. Gee, those recent releases have tons of them. What about the word 'said'? I was told you should use 'said' rather than 'replied', 'answered', 'groaned', etc. By using the 'said' word, it makes the reader gloss over to the next sentence. Guess what I found in the four recent releases I read? Yup! Replied, groaned, growled and answered. And these are authors that I love their story telling. What gives?

Is there a double standard I should know about? Sigh, Back to the drawing board....

No comments:

Post a Comment