Sunday, May 21, 2017

Setting Realistic Goals for Writing Time

At times, I am too hard on myself. I feel like I should be glued to my chair and my laptop non stop writing. But I've learned that life doesn't work like that for me. I love my family and friends and want to make time with them too. I approach my writing as a career/job. I put in my time and when I'm done, then it's me time.

As of late, things are not going as planned. I don't mean that in a bad way, but I need to be more assertive of my writing schedule than I have been. I've written eleven books in five years, so why am I struggling with only two of them in this last year?

Maybe it was the five weddings, (four out of state) I've been to this year. Long lost family and friends coming for a visit; two years of appliance breakdowns and waiting for repair and service men between the hours of 8 - 5 to appear at my door. (Kind of breaks down a writer's concentration even though it's fuel for a new book...)

Oh! And let's not forget the many tornado warnings we've had this year and hanging out in our 'Fraidy Hole. (The closet under the stairs). That's not good for my concentration either.

Today, I'm making a new resolution to take advantage of my time to devote to writing. I'm going to let the creative process take over and embrace it fully.

After this tornado warning subsides. Sigh. Back to the 'Fraidy Hole. Again.

1 comment:

  1. Do you keep a notebook in your 'Fraidy Hole? Perhaps you should so you can jot short stories that are tornado related...

    ReplyDelete