Sunday, November 11, 2012

The news is filled with doom and gloom.

On a happier note, I spoke to some old friends this week. I tried to give them words of encouragement on moving. I have moved quite a bit in my life and each place is different. The two worst moves happened when I was in grade school and we moved from Chicago, to Springfield, IL. I had to leave all my friends and try to make new ones. Where we lived in Chicago was a neighborhood. We were in and out of each other's houses all the time. In Springfield, we lived on two acres, across the street from a farm and our neighbors were retired folks. Not too much fun for a fourth grader. If I wanted to see my friends, I had to ask my mom to drive to their house. She would get kind of cranky about it at times, but I got over it as I matured. We went back two years ago at Christmas and I saw then my parent's appeal to the area. I could definitely go back there.

My second worst move was from Chicago to Sinking Spring, PA. I had to give up my job while my husband just loved his. I had to give up the close proximity of my family still in Chicago. My husband traveled 70% of the time leaving me alone to raise my daughter. But then, I made an effort to find new friends and new ways of family support. I discovered long, lost relatives in New Jersery and New York, so in the end it all worked out.

Our move to Dallas (with the exception of our house which inspired When the Runway Went South) has been fun and I don't regret it one bit. I think with each move you more or less have to reinvent yourself. Just be brave and remain positive.

Also, this weekend was a blast. Our ex-neighbors sold their house and bought a farm. (Just like Springfield and also one of the people I spoke to.) We went to visit them and found it refreshing. Hay rides, horseback riding, chasing cattle, ponds, lots of open space and feeling really relaxed. It was definitely good for the soul. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment