Sunday, May 10, 2015

Cats versus Dogs

Happy Mothers' Day to all the moms around the world!

I'm 'cat sitting' for the next couple of days while my girlfriend and her family go on a cruise. I've watched these cats before and they know who I am. I'm the one who feeds them. They no longer run away from me because I'm a stranger. As a matter of fact, every time I go to the house, the cats immediately go their food bowls waiting for Lois to feed them!

I go twice a day. At seven in the morning and around five at night. That has been their schedule their entire lives. (Well, not really. My friend gets up at four to feed them and then goes back to bed, but there's no way in hell I'm going to do that so seven it is.)

The reason I bring this up is because my husband is not the animal lover that I am. We had our dog for thirteen years, so he is aware of the care needed for a pet. But, he's never had or liked cats before. When I leave to take care of them, he rolls his eyes as if to say, "I can't believe you're doing this." But he doesn't say it, but I know!!!

We are having some major storms in Texas today. We're flooding like crazy with lightning, thunder and funnel clouds. On Mother's Day, I dragged myself out of bed and drove through the flooded streets to feed the cats. It was really bad out there and I was scared. Fortunately, there was hardly anyone on the road. The cats rubbed along my feet while I prepared their meals. When they were done eating, as only cats do, I was dismissed.

I left and it looked better. I went home a different route, where I know the streets have a better drainage system. When I got home, my husband was waiting in the garage, glaring at me. He was livid! He heard me leave and got up and turned on the news to watch the weather. A funnel cloud had been spotted about five miles from my friend's house, didn't I know that?? Uh, no. There's storms all around us. I tried to explain that these kitties needed to eat. They've known this routine since they were young and both have sensitive stomachs. Once again I was treated with the eye roll.

Let's just say, but husband doesn't get cats...

No comments:

Post a Comment