Sunday, January 15, 2017

Moving Forward

n
Last week, I posted about how some publishers (not all!) are not paying their author's royalties. It breaks my heart that this situation is allowed to happen. I have so many author friends who are owed thousands of dollars and won't see a cent of it.

I am praying that this situation will soon end and the author's will be appreciated and compensated accordingly.

In the meantime, I will continue to work on my NHRA story. I have the rights back to my first three books. I am taking this as a positive sign because once you see it in print, you see where you could make it a better story. At the time of editing, I was always under time constraints and was afraid to challenge what the editor wanted me to do even though I disagreed with some of their suggestions.

A good example was with my work, Play for Me. The editor had me change the heroine's mother's personality saying she was too mean. I had based this character on someone I knew, but is no longer with us. This lady was a character who told it like it was whether you liked it or not! I changed it anyway thinking the editor knew what they were doing to sell the book.

I've learned a great deal from my editors and thank them for their knowledge and help. I particularly love the help I get with writing the blurb for my books. It's funny how you can write a story, but to sum it up into two paragraphs to get the audience's attention? It's a stumper! Kudos to all of you who have helped me!

1 comment:

  1. Blurb writing - plech!!! I so admire people who can just do that.

    ReplyDelete